James and Ann Peel.
James Peel was born around 1845 in Arthuret, Cumberland.
He married Ann Strong (born Parsonby, around 1847) and they had five children:
Edward (1870), Margaret (1873), Walter (1875), Mary (1877) and Catherine (1882).
In 1881 they lived at Albert St, Arthuret. 1881 British Census
On 12 October 1883 they sailed from Liverpool aboard the Renfrewshire as bounty immigrants. Edward Peel is listed in the single men’s list and the rest of the family are listed together. Register of Arrivals, State Library of Queensland
They arrived in Brisbane on 27 January 1884. Shortly after, the infant Catherine died and was buried in the family grave in South Brisbane Cemetery.
James Peel was a wood turner and he established an engineering business at Hope Street, Sth Bris as sub-tenant to John R Cooper, Joiner. 1885 Post Office Directory, SLQ
This building was on the left side of Hope Street heading South, between Melbourne and Russell Streets seven allotments back from Russell Street. Numbers weren’t given to premises in Brisbane until the 1920’s. In 2011 it is the Convention Centre Carpark. 1892 PO Directory lists the premises as James Peel engineer and Miss Peel dressmaker.
Edward Peel may have played violin or piano, performing at a Technical College Concert. 1893 Brisbane Courier
Edward and Walter were part of Stewart and Peel Coachbuilders Grey Street, South Brisbane. Advertisements Bris Courier 6/1 and 27/2/1898
The Stewart and Peel partnership was dissolved on 15/9/1898. Bris Cour
EJ and W Peel Coachbuilders advertised at Stanley Street, Sth Bris. Bris Cour 1/10 and 24/11/1898
Walter married Jessie Blanche Symes in 1903. www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch
Their children were Ann Dicken (Nancy) 1903, Leonard (Lenny) 1906, Nelson 1908, Edward 1910, Harold 1913, and Edna 1919.
James Peel’s business continued in Hope St until at least 1906. PO Dir 1906
By 1913 Walter and his family were living at Water Street West, Highgate Hill. This is probably the Water Street near the Mater Hospital that runs behind the Morrison Hotel, and the allotment would be now part of the Mater Carpark.
James Peel is living in Vulture St, South Bris.
Peel’s Limited Coach Builders are in Stanley Street, beside Hancock and Gore Hardware Supplies, then Malynn Park Boarding house, and The Ship Inn (still standing in 2011). 1913/1914 PO Dir
Ann Peel died in 1924 and is buried in South Bris Cemetery.
1924/25 Post Office Directory shows:
Edward J Peel 185 Vulture St, SB (Musgrave Court).
Walter Peel Annerley Road.
James Peel 189 Vulture St.
Peel’s Ltd Motor Car Importers 407-431 Stanley St.
Ship Inn 443 Stanley St.
The 1925 Company Records, State Archives show that the company increased capital from 100 000 pounds to 150 000 pounds. Shareholders include Edward, Walter, Margaret Banford (nee Peel) 729 Coventry Road, Smallheath, Coventry, UK, and George and Sophie Potter, 185 Vulture St.
James Peel died in 1927, buried SB Cemetery.
On 30/3/28 there was a fire overnight at Peel’s Ltd. The Inquest Papers are held in State Archives.
Peel’s Ltd also had a showroom at the corner of Creek and Adelaide Streets, Brisbane in 1929. Company Records, State Archives
Lennie was killed in a road accident in 1930. Buried S Bris Cemetery
On 15/10/1930 Edward and Walter were appointed as liquidators to wind up the company. Company Records, State Archives
NJ and EF Peel (Nelson and Ted) Motor Engineers established a business at 441 Stanley St, beside the Ship Inn, on 1/7/1932. The business ‘ceased to exist’ in 1941. Company Records, State Archives
On 28/08/1932 Walter took his own life. Inquest Papers, State Archives He is buried in Sth Bris Cemetry.
Margaret Banford is believed to have lived in Toronto, Canada, but died and was buried in the family grave in 1938.
Edward Peel died in1953 aged 84, and his wife Olive Sophia in 1971 aged 92. Both together in S Bris Cemetery.
Mary Isabella Hancock (nee Peel) married J Henry Hancock (1875 – 1945) and they are buried with a daughter Gladys E Mc Cutcheon (1903 – 1930) in S Bris Cemetery.